- The Nobel Prize in Literature will be awarded tomorrow at 1pm Stockholm time. Bloomberg news has a rundown of the current contenders, which include Syrian-born poet and critic Adonis, South Korean author Ko Un, and Philip Roth.
- Speaking of awards, the National Book Award Finalists were announced today. I’m posting the Fiction and Non-Fiction, which I think are good lists. Look at the list here to see the Children’s and Poetry:
Mischa Berlinski, Fieldwork (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
Lydia Davis, Varieties of Disturbance (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
Joshua Ferris, Then We Came to the End (Little, Brown & Company)
Denis Johnson, Tree of Smoke (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
Jim Shepard, Like Youâ€™d Understand, Anyway (Alfred A. Knopf)
Fiction judges: Francine Prose (chair), Andrew Sean Greer,
Walter Kirn, David Means, and Joy Williams.
Edwidge Danticat, Brother, Iâ€™m Dying (Alfred A. Knopf)
Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything (Twelve/Hachette Book Group USA)
Woody Holton, Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution
(Hill and Wang/Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
Arnold Rampersad, Ralph Ellison: A Biography (Alfred A. Knopf)
Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (Doubleday)
Nonfiction judges: David Shields (chair), Deborah Blum,
Caroline Elkins, Annette Gordon-Reed, and James Shapiro.
- Yay! Self-Promotion. Rather, store promotion. A customer told us that Ellen Pompeo, of the show Grey’s Anatomy, mentioned my store as one of her favorites in a recent profile in AmericanWay.
- More self-promtion: I wrote an article on the NEIBA trade show for Bookselling This Week. It’s my first piece of paid journalism!
- Bostonist interviews Shalom Auslander, who will be appearing at Brookline Booksmith tomorrow evening at 7 pm. Yes, I’m promoting another store’s event, mainly because I like this book so much. I’ll be there and still be a square.
Update: I fixed the link on the article I wrote. Should work now.
I liked your report on NEIBA (though the link doesn’t seem to work). Thanks for mentioning the Alice Waters!